Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Buzzards, stink and more reasons to run early.

So I couldn't sleep last night.  So I did not get up at 530 when Charlie did.  I tried (unsuccessfully) to sleep in.  I don't know why I didn't sleep, but running was not an option early.

So I ran around 1100 at lunch time. Just under 5 miles with a quarter mile sprint at the end.  BUT...

It was hot.  Really hot.  The wind was cooling me off, but ugh, 95 degrees is too hot.

Eleven years ago, I lived in Berlin.  Every so often a waft from the sewage system blew by.  I called them "fart winds" for obvious reasons.  I never thought I would think of that so clearly of that again until today.  I was running by the marshes just off shore, it was windy, and the wind pushed a smell that smelled like rotten eggs fucked a dead fish and made a rotten egg dead fish baby, that farted a great wind across the coastal plains of Texas.  It was AWESOME sucking that air in when running.

As I was out in the open I was getting really hot and slowing down a bit when I looked up.  I actually had two buzzards circling above.  I knew I wasn't doing great, but I didn't think I was doing THAT bad.  Well, maybe they weren't ready to eat my carcass.  but they were intimidating.  There's more wildlife on base in Corpus.  Gofers.  Jackrabbits.  Old people.  Too exciting for my tastes.  That'll learn me to run at work.

Points:  need more speed. Going to work on that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment